Wednesday, December 22, 2004

"something personal to say"

Back in the summer of 1997 I saw the film "Chasing Amy" by Kevin Smith. You know how in your life there are years that stand out? Years that seem to have more significance than the rest? 1997 was one of them. That was the year my mom got assigned to Tokyo and the beginning of an interesting and wonderful foreign journey I still can't get over now that it's done. That same year I went back to the US for the first time in 12 years. And in one of the smaller theaters in a multiplex, upon the recommendation of my cousin who heard good things about it, I saw down and watched "Chasing Amy".

Needless to say I could not get the film out of my head since then. Kevin Smith's words, including all the four-letter ones, resonated within me unlike any movie I watched at that time. I guess you could say I've always been a movie lover, but I was a commercial whore (Jenina: was??) who ate with relish the press releases about a blockbuster's budget, stunts, explosions, and all that crap. I went to movies and enjoyed each movie exactly the way the movie's publicists, writers, and producers wanted me to enjoy it. It's not exactly putting a gun to my head and telling me to enjoy, but they laid out the cheese and I ate it.

Chasing Amy was different. This film was about a filmmaker who had something to say. The film is so close to Kevin Smith's real life, his protagonist Holden Mc Neil utters the line "when I have something personal to say" in the movie. I suppose what drew me to the movie was that I *got* the film, and I'd still be getting years later, when I'm writing my blog. Seven years ago blogs probably didn't even exist.

The dialogue, Star Wars references, debates about sex, the words; they all connected to me. Some didn't, but that's okay because it's amazing enough that I can relate to a fat filmmaker from Jersey who grew up halfway across the globe from me.

So now I'm officially a blogger. Do I finally have something personal to say? Yes. I always have. And it's about time to start chronicling my life. Not because it's important, or full of potential, but because it's mine.

Thank you Kevin, for letting me know how you feel, making me realize that I feel the same. Becuase isn't that what writing is? Letting other human beings know that you're thinking what they're thinking? (Jenina: Writing is letting people know what you think *.*).

Thank you Tammy for making a blog so entertaining yet introspective, for sharing your amazing thoughts yet not making me feel like the person reading your life over your shoulder.

Thank you god, for allowing me to do this.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home